1 far distant in space; "distant lands"; "remote stars"; "a remote outpost of civilization"; "a hideaway far removed from towns and cities" [syn: distant, removed]
2 very unlikely; "an outside chance"; "a remote possibility"; "a remote contingency" [syn: outside]
3 far distant in time; "distant events"; "the remote past or future"; "a civilization ten centuries removed from modern times" [syn: distant, removed]
5 far apart in nature; "considerations entirely removed (or remote) from politics" [syn: removed(p)] n : a device that can be used to control a machine or apparatus from a distance; "he lost the remote for his TV" [syn: remote control]
- Rhymes: -əʊt
- At a distance;
- A remote operator may control the vehicle with a wireless handset.
- Distant or otherwise
- After his fall from the emperor's favor, the general was posted to a remote outpost.
- There was only a remote possibility that we would be rescued as we were far outside of the regular shipping lanes.
- Emotionally detached.
- After her mother's death, my friend grew remote for a time while she dealt with her grief.
at a distance
- Chinese: 遥远 (yáoyuǎn)
- Dutch: verwijderd, afgelegen, van op afstand, veraf
- Finnish: etäinen, kaukainen, etä-, kauko-
- French: distant
- German: abgelegen
- Hungarian: távoli
- Indonesian: jarak jauh, remote
- Italian: remoto
- Japanese: 遠隔 (えんかく, enkaku), 辺鄙な (hempi na)
- Korean: 원격 (weon-gyeok), 먼 (meon)
- Norwegian: fjern
- Portuguese: remoto
- Russian: отдалённый (otdaljónnyj)
- Scottish Gaelic: cian, cèin
- Spanish: remoto
- Swedish: avlägsen
- Short for remote
- I hate it when my uncle comes over to visit; he always sits in the best chair and hogs the remote.
- (remote control): clicker
Remote may refer to:
Olympian, above all that, abstracted, acquisitive, alien, aloof, ambitious for self, ancient, apart, arcane, asunder, at a distance, autistic, away, back, backward, bashful, blank, careerist, casual, chilled, chilly, cold, constrained, cool, detached, devious, discreet, disinterested, distal, distant, early, egotistical, exclusive, exotic, expressionless, faint, far, far off, far-flung, far-off, faraway, farfetched, fat, foggy, forbidding, forced, frigid, frontier, frosty, grasping, greedy, guarded, icy, impassive, impersonal, implausible, improbable, in a backwater, inaccessible, inappropriate, inconsiderable, incurious, indifferent, individualistic, insignificant, insular, introverted, irrelevant, isolated, lonely, lonesome, long-distance, long-range, modest, narcissistic, negligible, obscure, off, offish, out-of-the-way, out-of-the-world, outlandish, outlying, outside, personalistic, poor, possessive, privatistic, quarantined, quite another thing, recondite, removed, repressed, reserved, restrained, reticent, retired, retiring, secluded, seclusive, secret, segregated, self-absorbed, self-admiring, self-advancing, self-besot, self-centered, self-considerative, self-contained, self-devoted, self-esteeming, self-indulgent, self-interested, self-jealous, self-occupied, self-pleasing, self-seeking, self-serving, self-sufficient, selfish, separate, separated, sequestered, shrinking, shut off, slender, slight, slim, small, something else again, standoff, standoffish, strained, subdued, subtle, suppressed, tramontane, ultramontane, unaffable, unapproachable, unconcerned, uncongenial, unconnected, undemonstrative, unexpansive, unfamiliar, unfrequented, ungenial, uninterested, unlikely, unrelated, unsettled, unusual, unvisited, withdrawn